Monday, February 6, 2012

Mindfulness


I sat in my car waiting my turn. The parking lot was busy, so I focused on my breathing. 
In, out
Deep, slow 
Calm, ease
Smile, release
Present moment, wonderful moment 
I wasn’t in a rush to get anywhere, but I noticed how busy the parking lot was. People rushed anxiously in and out of the gym.  Cars paced hopelessly in search of a vacancy.  I felt something looking down at me. 
Looking up and out my window I saw a woman. Her eyes were dark with rage. Her fists where frustrated and pointing right at me. I lost count as her angry words came crashing into her window. Then the weird thing happened.
I did nothing. 

I didn’t flinch. I didn’t respond. I barely even blinked an eye. I sat in my driver’s seat like a hollow reed. My mind was steady. I knew she was trying to tell me something, but it must not have been important. She hadn’t even bothered to roll down her window. 
My lack of reaction an unusual steadiness in this situation later led me to pause for reflection. My life has been really good lately. Classes are done. Work has slowed down. I’m reading books, taking yoga classes. I’m finally doing things to fulfill me. 

People always tell you how important it is to take care of yourself.  To have a healthy lifestyle, you must first be happy within. To have an honest, loving relationship, you must first love yourself. I’ve always believed these words to be true, but believing something and feeling it are two totally different things. Taking care of yourself and living happily within gives you more space to live freely. 

You’re worth the time.  

No comments:

Post a Comment